Well it is all over. After six weeks and 2500 miles of driving, it is back home to Scotland today. I have been aware that my blog has been very factual regarding my visits and with less on the “other stuff” that has happened to me during my journey around New England et al. To write (sic) that wrong…here are my top ten highlights of some other things that have went on….
1. Managed to book the right hotel in the wrong place. Who knew there were two Portlands! The buggers (Hampton Inns) won’t give me my money back but they haven’t heard the last of me on this one…
2. Motoring Issues – Part One…..small accident with another car but all worked out OK…no fatalities and insured up to the eye balls…. sorry again Janet!
3. Motoring Issues – Part Two…..several dalliances on the wrong side of the road and countless times lost in the middle of nowhere but met some lovely people while asking directions. My hire car has been a star…I will miss you…you great gas guzzling galoot!
4. Met the youngest daughter of Charles Lindbergh….yes THE Charles Lindbergh….Spirit of St Louis and all that….Reeve, his youngest daughter, is a lovely woman and is an author, residing in Vermont.
5. Been interviewed for several local papers and online media things. Was also filmed for a CBS Connecticut programme eating my dinner with my wife while in a restaurant in Milford.
6. Met my best friend from High School after 30 years in of all places North Adams, Mass. and learned about his project to develop a block of houses and retail spaces at a cost of over a $1million. Who knew two waifs and strays from Clydebank would have made it so far..
7. Gained plenty extra pounds after eating and eating and eating…this is indeed the land of mucho food and some great craft beers as well as blueberry pancakes with Maple syrup…I will miss you my friends
8. My accommodation has been an eclectic mix with some great hosts. I have stayed on a farm, in an attic in the Hood, in a house with a sauna in the back garden (see below) and many hotels where the activities of my fellow guests has been somewhat entertaining..
9. Visited the Big Apple and fell back in love with the place. Broadway show, Jets v Patriots at the Metlife, great bars/restaurants and even became part of the street theatre in Times Square…
10. Finally I have visited 8 States (Massachusetts, Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Connecticut and New Jersey) meeting over 100 wonderful people who are doing some amazing community related projects. Their hospitality and gracious understanding of a broad Scots brogue has been a joy to behold.
Now how am I going get an Alpaca in my case…
P.S. Grubbing the Line is a college student term for cleaning the leftovers from canteen plates…apt